The Hobbit didn’t soar to the heights we first expected, but the Peter Jackson Journey written by the great JRR Tolkien broke Box Office records anyway.
The Hobbit holds two new distant box office records: The film pulled in $37.5 million dollars on Friday for the Biggest December Friday ever, and its estimated $84.8 million dollar weekend is good for the biggest december weekend in domestic box office history.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opened in 4,045 theaters in the US and Canada, and 18,200 screens in 56 international markets world-wide. The film took in an estimated $56 million in those 56 markets, making it the No. 1 film in the world.
Of the 4,045 theaters where The Hobbit opened, 3,160 are in 3D, and 461 of those theaters presented the film in the 48 frames per second format.
In other box office news, Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln passed the $100 million dollar mark. Skyfall is getting close to the $300 million dollar mark, passing the $275 million dollar mark this weekend. That Skyfall figure keeps the film just ahead of its November rival, Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2 which also passed the $275 million dollar mark this weekend for a grand total of $276.5 million dollars. The rest of the weekend box office estimates are below:
Box Office Top Ten
1. The Hobbit: Unexpected Journey (MGM/WB) NEW [Runs 4,045] PG13
Friday $37.5M, Saturday $28.1M, Weekend $84.8M
2. Skyfall (Eon/MGM/Sony) Week 6 [Runs 2,924] PG13
Friday $1.8M, Saturday $3.3M, Weekend $7.0M, Cume $272.4M
3. Rise Of The Guardian (DWA/Par) Week 4 [Runs 3,387] PG
Friday $1.5M, Saturday $3.3M, Weekend $7.0M, Cume $71.0M
4. Lincoln (DreamWorks/Fox/Disney) Week 6 [Runs 2,285] PG13
Friday $1.9M, Saturday $3.0M, Weekend $6.7M, Cume $107.7M
5. Life Of Pi (Fox) Week 4 [Runs 2,548] PG
Friday $1.4M, Saturday $2.4M, Weekend $5.4M, Cume $69.5M
6. Breaking Dawn Part 2 (Summit/Lionsgate) Week 5 [Runs 3,042] PG13
Friday $1.4M, Saturday $2.1M, Weekend $4.8M, Cume $276.5M
7. Wreck-It Ralph (Disney) Week 7 [Runs 2,249]PG
Friday $702K, Saturday $1.5M, Weekend $3.1M, Cume $168.6M
8. Playing For Keeps (Millenium/FilmDistrict) Week 2 [Runs 2,840] PG13
Friday $1.0K, Saturday $1.3M, Weekend $3.0M (-48%), Cume $10.6M
9. Red Dawn (MGM/FilmDistrict) Week 4 [Runs 2,250] PG13
Friday $698K, Saturday $1.1M, Weekend $2.4M, Cume $40.9M
10. Silver Linings Playbook (Weinstein) Week 5 [Runs 371] R
Friday $588K, Saturday $950K, Weekend $2.0M, Cume $16.9M
Under The Dome 2x12 Turn Promo and Synopsis Here's the new promo for the next episode of Un...
Arrow 2x22 Streets Of Fire First Look Pics Here are the official Promotional Pictures from t...
Reign 1x20 Higher Ground Clip Tonight on Reign 1x20 Higher Ground watch Queen Catherine conf...
The Walking Dead Chandler Riggs Comic Con Interview This is an interview of Chandler Riggs w...